I made these little guys in honor of Cinco De Mayo. While everyone else was eating taco tuesday or having a margarita, I decided to whip these little balls of energy up (that sounds so funny haha). The inspiration came from the fact that A) I am a cali girl and B) I really use any excuse to make treats! So, I thought of recipes I could make incorporating Mexican chocolate…which is really chili powder and cacao combined and just gives them such a subtle kick of taste with each bite! I love how these energy balls serve as a great snack throughout the day or they are perfect for a quick, easy and healthy breakfast to go on the road.
Gluten-Free Vegan Mexican Chocolate Energy Balls
All these variations really consist of super foods such as: dates, cacao powder, chia seeds, coconut, and nuts. Eat them as a post workout and give yourself a natural energy boost. These are also great for a work quick pick me up. Instead of the weekly donuts in the conference, munch on a few of these and they will satisfy the craving. Plus, they won’t leave you feeling bloated and having food coma.
I really had fun making these and you can whip any toppings or combinations that you’d like. So easy, versatile and scrumptious.
Happy Cinco De Mayo!
- 10 organic regular sized pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups organic shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 1 tsp organic chili powder
- 1 tsp organic coffee
- 1 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1 tsp organic vanilla
- 1/4 cup organic cacao powder
- (You can add whichever toppings you'd like)
- 2 tbsp organic cacao powder
- 1 tbsp organi chia seeds (I use Chosen Foods)
- 1 tbsp organic shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp vegan chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Foods)
- 1/4 cup organic pecans blended in processor (I use @woodstockfoods)
- 1. Soak the dates in warm water for about 10 min
- 2. In a food processor, blend the coconut to a fine blend
- 3. Add to food processor the: drained dates, salt, coffee, cinnamon, cacao powder and vanilla
- 4. Blend/puree throughly
- 5. Remove the mixture from processor and form 12 small balls with your hands and place on parchment paper
- 6. Place all the toppings on a large separate piece of parchment paper in sections so they don't mix with each other
- 7. Roll balls in desired toppings
- 8. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes, allow a couple minutes to thaw and serve or take it to go on the road!!