I never really put much thought to how almond milk was made. Wait, can you milk almonds? haha JK!
But it’s super easy!! I keep heading back to the fridge throughout the day to taste this rich almond milk. I tell you, even if I wasn’t dairy-free, man the taste is so succulent, rich and creamy, who ever needs dairy again?! Have you picked up a carton of almond milk these days and read the ingredients? Pretty foreign sounding isn’t it? Even in the organic almond milk has suspect ingredients as well. I just choose to avoid all that and make simple almond milk at home. It’s so easy, so why not?
To make this luscious, rich, pure Organic Homemade 6 Ingredient Vanilla Almond Milk – you’ll want to soak these little guys overnight. This changes the texture allowing for more flavor when blended, however, soaking also has extra added benefits. Raw almonds contain an acid in their brown skin and by soaking them you release enzymes that are better for you and easier to digest as well. So, it’s important to soak overnight!
I only use organic almonds since I like to avoid the extra chemicals and pesticides conventional almonds contain. Now there are a gazillion almond milk recipes out there, and I hold no hidden secrets to my recipe with this Organic Homemade 6 Ingredient Vanilla Almond Milk. But, I can assure you if you follow the instructions to this almond milk it tastes soooooo rich and pure. There are additional things you can add to the recipe. Some like to soak a few dates or figs for a natural sweetener, however, I prefer my milk super white and without the thickness the added fruits provide. It’s still very good with these versions but I just prefer my way.
Organic Homemade 6 Ingredient Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 cup organic almonds
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp organic maple syrup
- 1 pitted organic date
- 4 cups filtered water
- pinch of pink himalayan salt
- 1. In a large bowl, soak your almond completely covered in water overnight. At least 10 hours is preferable as this will help release enzymes
- 2. Rinse your almonds thoroughly in strainer to get all the brown gunk off
- 3. In a blender, toss in almonds and remaining ingredients
- 4. Blend on high for one minute making sure the almonds are a fine ground now
- 5. Take your nut bag and place over a clean bowl
- 6. pour the almond milk through the nut bag. This will release the finely ground up almonds and leave you with just the milk in the bowl
- 7. squeeze all the milk out strained nut bag
- 8. Serve chilled
- You can keep the ground up almond in the nutbag and use as almond meal/flour