Attention all of you folks that are seeking a delicious nut-free chocolate chip cookie recipe! Honestly, I don’t have a nut allergy, but I came across this awesome flour by Organic Gemini that is nut-free (funny the name doesn’t sound nut-free) but it’s called TigerNut flour. I love experimenting with new flours, especially since I like to cater to everyone’s dietary needs. I often get requests from folks that cannot consume nuts and they are pretty frustrated with the lack of recipes out there (especially since most paleo recipes call for almond flour these days). Therefore, I worked hard in the kitchen to come up with some chewy chocolate chips cookies to try and get as close as possible to the real thing.
I threw away a lot of batches trying to get this recipe to my standards. Sometimes they came out too bready or chewy and one time super crunchy! Now, I don’t prefer crunchy cookies and I actually love the chew over anything crisp. That’s what makes these Organic Nut-Free Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Using TigerNut Flour so special. I wanted the exterior to be harder with some chewy goo inside.
Even if you are not nut-free, these Organic Nut-Free Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Using TigerNut Flour are super delicious and healthy! TigerNut flour is organic, Non-GMO, raw, vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and kosher. TigerNuts are actually tubers which are small root vegetables. They comprised over 80% of our Paleo ancestors diet around 2 million years ago. Great source of resistant starch, and a prebiotic fiber that resists digestion and creates fuel for probiotic bacteria. In other words, creating good bacteria for your belly!! I also love how this recipe contains no refined sugar and uses coconut sugar. At first I was a little skeptical because I had to think hmmm…is a coconut a nut? After some debate over the internet, I discovered it is indeed NOT a nut. Now, if you are allergic to coconut, you can always sub out for maple sugar. You do want to be sure you use either or though because the browning in both these sugars helps attribute to that oowey gooey I was referring to.
If you want to read more about TigerNut flour or even purchase a bag, a 16 oz bag is $14.00 here. Not to mention, Organic Gemini makes the most delicious, Organic, Dairy-free Chai Horchata on the planet!
Organic Nut-Free Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies Using TigerNut Flour
- -1/4 cup Organic Gemini "TigerNut Flour"
- -1 large egg
- -2 tbsp organic coconut sugar
- -1/3 cup favorite Vegan chocolate chips
- -1/4 cup organic raw honey
- -1 cup organic sun butter
- -1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- -1/2 tsp baking soda
- -1/4 tsp himalayan salt
- 1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F
- 2. Combine all ingredients in a standing mixer or a hand mixer in a large bowl
- 3. Place a baking sheet on a baking pan (I use a baking sheet over parchment paper as it does change the texture of your cookie
- 4. Divide the dough into 12 balls by rolling in your hand
- 5. Place 6 balls of dough on the baking sheet and press down on top lightly to flatten. Bake 6 at a time.
- 6. Bake for 10 minutes and then allow to cool on tray for several minutes before removing to give that softer gooey texture inside.