Ok, there really is nothing more delicious than ground up homemade butters: Almonds, peanuts, cashews……etc. I wanted to try something different though because I get a lot of requests as some folks are allergic to almonds and others peanuts, etc….so if you’re not allergic to sunflower seeds…well this may be your new best friend! Even if you’re not allergic, sun-butter provides a little different taste while still maintaining that peanut butter like consistency. So, why not try a little variety in your life because it’s absolutely delicious. Introducing, Home-made Organic Vegan and Paleo Sun-Butter.
While I was at the grocery store I noticed there were a few varieties of sun-butter. However, if I wanted the organic option, I would have to fork out $10-$13 for a small jar of it. Then I said to myself, why not just make it for less than half the cost!? You really can’t lose – if you’ve ever had freshly ground butter than you know what I am talking about, but if you haven’t, you’re in for a treat! I really like the idea of making sun butter whenever you need. The perk about this is, not sure when manufacturers actually make and store their butter. Here you can have it fresh, homemade, and no added fillers or preservatives.
I simply tossed in some organic sunflower seeds, a little organic maple syrup, some pink himalayan salt, and let the food processor do all the work. Now it is about a ten minute process, however, it’s still pretty simple. Also, the trick about having a good Organic Vegan and Paleo Sun-Butter is the food processor. I actually first tried grinding everything in my more expensive processor, but it wasn’t getting the job done. So, I tried it again in my inexpensive but super effective little processor, and it worked great! The blade just works better for a good butter grind and I used this $27 Kitchen-Aid Food Processor. If you don’t have a food processor, I highly recommend this one to start off with. It’s a small investment, and you could process all sorts of things up to 3.5 cups worth. I make lots of sauces, treats, and cookies etc with this little guy. Plus, it comes in like 14 different colors too! Enjoy!
Organic Vegan and Paleo Sun-Butter
- 3 cups organic roasted sunflower seeds (not shelled)
- 2-3 tsp organic maple syrup (I would start with 2 tsp and work your way to 3)
- 1/4-1/6 tsp pink himalayan salt (I would start with 1/6 and work your way up to 1/4)
- 1. In a food processor, puree 3 cups of sunflower seeds for about 10 min. Be patient and NO don't add in any oil. It will get there, just periodically push the mixture down with a silicone spatula (food processor turned off of course) and keep grinding away. At first it will look powdery but slowly turn into a butter!
- 2. Add in 2 tsp of maple syrup and 1/6 of salt, puree again for 30 sec. If you'd like more sweetness and salt, add the remaining syrup and salt. This all depends on personal preference.
- 3. Remove from processor, it will be a little warm, but up to you if you want to can and store or eat right away!